Regular Seminars/Journal clubs etc
- Monday 1pm alternates between ICC Theory Lunch and Galform lunch. There is a Google calendar for this. Please contact Peter Mitchell for more information about the Galform lunch.
- Tuesday (11am) in OC304 - joint LSS astro-ph session with the IfA (Edinburgh). Please contact Marius Cautun for further information.
- Wednesdays at 1:00-2:00pm in room OC304 - AGN/accretion Journal Club will take place every alternate week. Contact Agnese Del Moro for more information.
- Wednesdays (3pm - 4pm), Conference Room (OC218) - our main seminar slot for external speakers.
- Durham Astro lunch (basically paper discussions - vote on papers on http://durham.voxcharta.org/) takes place on Thursday lunchtimes. Contact Matthieu Schaller for more information.
- Alternating with the astro lunch on Thursdays 1-2 (OC304) is the Galaxy formation journal club.
- Seminar slot on Friday lunchtimes (1pm - 2pm), normally OC218 - usually internal speakers, but occasionally visitors.
Durham hosts two major lecture series of interest to astronomers:
- The Grubb Parsons Lecture
Given annually by a distinguished astronomer from outside the Department, it is named in honour of the contributions made by the Newcastle optical and engineering company Grubb Parsons Ltd to the development of astronomical instrumentation in the UK.
- The Temple Chevallier Lecture
The Temple Chevallier lecture series honours the achievements of Temple Chevallier (1794-1873), Durham's first (and only) Professor of Mathematics and Astronomy. The bi-annual lectures reflect his interests, encompassing, in turn, topics in astronomy, engineering, mathematics and theology.
- The student run Durham University Astronomical Society has a programme of fortnightly talks during term, usually held at lunchtimes in the Bransden Room.
Contact DetailsCentre for Extragalactic Astronomy,
Ogden Centre for Fundament Physics - West,
Department of Physics,
Durham DH1 3LE
Tel: 44 (0)191 3343635