- Wednesday Astronomy Colloquium (3pm-4pm), Ogden Centre West Auditorium (OCW017). The astronomy colloquia are delivered by external, invited speakers.
- Friday Lunchtime Astronomy Talks (FLAT; 1pm-2pm), Ogden Centre West Auditorium (OCW017). Currently online on Zoom. The FLAT talks are given by visitors and internal speakers.
- All astronomy and instrumentation lunch (1pm-2pm) on Monday every 4 weeks in OCW017.
- Theory lunch (1pm-2pm) on Monday every 4 weeks in OCW017, offset by 2 weeks from the all astronomy and instrumentation lunch.
- A brief, daily review of astro-ph before coffee every weekday morning. This takes place in the OCW Level 1 break-out space* at 10:45-11am, with coffee following immediately afterwards. *Currently on Microsoft Teams.
- There are also some Special Interest Groups who meet regularly.
|Activities on Teams||Meeting Times|
|Astronomy virtual coffee||Daily at 11am|
|CfAI virtual coffee||Tuesdays at 10am|
|arXiv preprint coffee and discussions||Daily at 10:45-11:00am|
|CGM-IGM JC||Every other Monday at 12pm|
|Astronomy student JC||Every Wednesday at 11am: only for students|
|AGN/accretion JC||Every other Wednesday at 1pm|
|Galaxy clusters and lensing||Every other Thursday at 1pm|
|Small-scale structure||2nd and 4th Thursday of each month at 1pm|
|CfAI journal club||Every Thursday at 2pm|
|Large-scale structure JC||Every other Friday at 12pm (alternates with standard and non-standard cosmology)|
|Standard and non-standard cosmologies||Every other Friday at 12pm (alternates with large-scale structure JC)|
|The Half Swan Inn||General chat replacement for Friday pub|
|Activities on Zoom||Meeting Times|
|All astronomy and instrumentation lunch||Every 4 weeks on Monday at 1pm (2 week offset from theory lunch|
|Theory lunch||Every 4 weeks on Monday at 1pm (2 week offset from all astronomy and instrumentation)|
|CfAI colloquia||Every other Wednesday at 1pm|
|DESI discussions||Every Tuesday at 5pm|
|4MOST discussions||1pm Thursday every four weeks|
|Astronomy colloquia||Every Wednesday at 3pm during term time|
|Friday Lunchtime Astronomy Talks||Every Friday at 1pm|
|GALFORM discussions||Sign up with Cedtic Lacey|
|IMAGE||First Thursday of the month at 2pm|
|IFU club||Once a month on a Wednesday at 10am|
Durham hosts two major lecture series of interest to astronomers:
- The Grubb Parsons Lecture
Given annually by a distinguished astronomer from outside the Department, it is named in honour of the contributions made by the Newcastle optical and engineering company Grubb Parsons Ltd to the development of astronomical instrumentation in the UK.
- The Temple Chevallier Lecture
The Temple Chevallier lecture series honours the achievements of Temple Chevallier (1794-1873), Durham's first (and only) Professor of Mathematics and Astronomy. The bi-annual lectures reflect his interests, encompassing, in turn, topics in astronomy, engineering, mathematics and theology.
- The student run Durham University Astronomical Society has a programme of fortnightly talks during term, usually held at lunchtimes in the Bransden Room.
Contact DetailsCentre for Extragalactic Astronomy,
Ogden Centre for Fundament Physics - West,
Department of Physics,
Durham DH1 3LE
Tel: 44 (0)191 3343635
* Time awarded on JWST
* Vicky Fawcett wins
* Starry night or black holes?
disc winds, Durham,
6th-9th Sept 2021
Stellar Feedback and
online Jan 6-7th 2021.